Thursday, May 17, 2012

Poetry Packet (Shakespeare, Mullen & Berrigan)

First off, I'm horrible at interpreting and understanding Poetry, especially Shakespeare, but I gave it a conscience effort, here it goes.

Starting with the Shakespeare Sonnets, we didn't really go over all of them, but re-reading them, I really was interested in Sonnet 129 & 130 .. Reading 129, Shakespeare seems to be indulging in love and the effects or experiences of Love and then reading 130, totally different read, he went fantasy to instant reality. He compliments then tears her down with crudeness. A particular line I found interesting was " ..And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare As any she belied with false compare", I look at that as him saying, no matter how beautiful you may look, that's not what's important.

Next, I really enjoyed reading Harryette Mullen's "Dim Lady". Reason is because of her usage of terms of endearment, she really spoke to be familiar to anyone read this sonnet. Her terminology was something I could visualize, imagine really happening. It's REAL, not no fantasy poem of made up life.

Lastly, the Ted Berrigan "XV" Sonnet, it was slick, I had never read a poem like that, well after what was suggested, because reading it just straight down, difficult as hell, but after using the suggestion, Genius. It was simple and creative ..

No comments:

Post a Comment